Monday, March 12, 2007

Do The Next Thing

I came across this poem by an unknown (at least to me) author on Justin Taylor's blog last week. As I read it, I quickly became aware of its authorship being from Heaven and the echo of my heart was that this is indeed how we live moment by moment by faith in our Father's never ending future grace. May it ever be the prayer of our hearts.

Do The Next Thing

From an old English parsonage down by the sea
There came in the twilight a message to me;
Its quaint Saxon legend, deeply engraven,
Hath, it seems to me, teaching from Heaven.
And on through the doors the quiet words ring
Like a low inspiration: “DO THE NEXT THING.”

Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, and guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrows, child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus, do the next thing

Do it immediately, do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe 'neath His wing,
Leave all results, do the next thing

Looking for Jesus, ever serener,
Working or suffering, be thy demeanor;
In His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance be thy psalm,
Strong in His faithfulness, praise and sing.
Then, as He beckons thee, do the next thing.

So Father, I pray, that You would enable us, by sovereign grace that You alone can supply, to do the next thing, for Your glory. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: