Monday, June 30, 2008

Do You Think You Can Think Too Highly Of God?


I am being greatly edified as I read through the autobiography of the man who is known as the Prince of Preachers, Charles Spurgeon. This is a man worthy of imitating. Reflecting on his childhood years and what it means to approach God like a child, Spurgeon pens the following words worth meditation:
"If you believe in prayer at all, expect God to hear you. If you do not expect, you will not have. God will not hear you unless you believe He will hear you; but if you believe He will, He will be as good as your faith. He will never allow you to think better of Him than He is; He will come up to the mark of your thoughts, and according to your faith so shall it be done unto you (Volume 1, p.25)."
Because God is greater than I could ever imagine, I cannot shake the implications of this statement: He will never allow you to think better of Him than He is.

My problem is and ever will be that I don't think highly enough of God.

No comments: