Tuesday, February 10, 2009

John Piper Confesses His Heart ...

... and mine.

I love John Piper. I don't say that lightly like "I love apple pie." There is no other preacher I've ever heard that speaks to my heart more than him. Not even close. And I'm coming to realize that it's because God has built us in so many of the same ways. Intense, earnest, sober, dogmatic, black and white, introverted, introspective, hedonistic, emotional, serious thinker. Just to name a few. So almost every time I read something he writes or hear something he says, my heart is so closely in tune with his. We're on almost exactly the same wavelength. So many of his struggles are exactly my struggles. From the 2009 Desiring God Conference for Pastors, this is perhaps the best ten minutes of Piper I've ever heard. But it's not for any of the reasons you would probably think if I were to tell you that without saying anything else.



Watch or listen to the entire session.

Thank You, Father, for this deeply flawed saint who has been my surest guide, under Jesus, on the narrow path to glory.

3 comments:

Mel said...

"There is no other preacher I've ever heard that speaks to my heart more than him. Not even close."

Amen, brother! I feel the same exact way!! :):):) Is it any wonder that two of my favorite blogs are owned by people who have been so deeply impacted by God speaking to them through John Piper?

Mel said...

Hi again, Chris,

I just was finally able to listen to this, and it was so powerful. My day, and, Lord willing, my life will be changed by hearing this, for the glory of God.

I haven't been able to listen to anything at work until now, because I haven't had headphones. Last night, I was desperate, so I asked my 13-year-old daughter, Linnea, if she had any. I have this pink sweater she's been wanting forever, and I offered it to her in trade for the headphones. I'm so glad I did. This was so worth it!

God bless you, and John Piper. :)

pilgriminconflict said...

Hahaha! I would say that's a good trade! =)

God bless you too Mel.