Thursday, November 14, 2013

What Would You Have Left?



Not sure about you, but the question that begs to be answered for me after watching this video is: what if you took away basketball?  Then what would you have left?  Unless I'm missing something, the naive assumption undergirding the message of this video (and--make no mistake about it--the worldview it represents) is that basketball could never be lost.  But what professional basketball player could be better positioned to ask and reflect on that question than Derrick Rose, who had basketball taken away from him for much of the past two years because of knee injuries?  Could it be that he missed out on the greatest opportunity to receive the most precious Gift (2 Corinthians 9:15) offered to him when he lost for a time what he embraces as most precious?

But, praise God, this next man didn't! Watch this football player reflect on and describe what is left--and cannot be lost--when everything else, including the game you love, is taken away:


But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him...
Philippians 3:7-9
HT: Strawberry-Rhubarb Theology

No comments: