Tuesday, August 11, 2015

An Absolute Certainty

If I crave happiness, I will receive misery. If I crave to be loved, I will receive rejection. If I crave significance, I will receive futility. If I crave control, I will receive chaos. If I crave reputation, I will receive humiliation. But if I long for God and his wisdom and mercy, I will receive God and wisdom and mercy. Along the way, sooner or later, I will also receive happiness, love, meaning, order, and glory.
--David Powlison, Seeing with New Eyes: Counseling and the Human Condition Through the Lens of Scripture, p. 161
In other words, the good news:
I say to the Lord, "You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you."
Psalm 16:2
And the bad news:
The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;
Psalm 16:4

No comments: