Monday, July 07, 2008

The Discipline Of The Lord

Do not be afraid because of the Chaldean officials. Live in the land and serve the king of Babylon, and it shall be well with you.
2 Kings 25:24

But if any nation or kingdom will not serve this Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and put its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon, I will punish that nation with the sword, with famine, and with pestilence, declares the LORD, until I have consumed it by his hand. So do not listen to your prophets, your diviners, your dreamers, your fortune tellers, or your sorcerers, who are saying to you, 'You shall not serve the king of Babylon.' For it is a lie that they are prophesying to you, with the result that you will be removed far from your land, and I will drive you out, and you will perish. But any nation that will bring its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him, I will leave on its own land, to work it and dwell there, declares the LORD.
Jeremiah 27:8-11
What am I to do when God commands me to come under the painful yoke of His discipline? I must fight and pray with all that I have against the sinful inclinations of my heart that tell me not to serve the king of Babylon but instead to go to Egypt where it will be easier and more comfortable. Why? Because that pain and discomfort is by His Fatherly design. And if I give in to the overpowering fleshly impulses to escape it now, the pain will only be worse later.
Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.
Jeremiah 17:7-8

And it shall come to pass in that day, declares the LORD of hosts, that I will break his yoke from off your neck, and I will burst your bonds, and foreigners shall no more make a servant of him.
Jeremiah 30:8

And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? 'My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.' It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
Hebrews 11:5-12
Abba, Father, please grant me grace to remain in the land rather than flee to a false refuge in Egypt. Make my roots go down deep rather than dry up and wither as You train me by Your discipline, I pray. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: