Monday, July 13, 2009

Returning With Joy

The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
Revelation 3:12-12
"In much of the church world...our usefulness is what seems to matter: if we can teach Sunday school, lead an outreach, or organize a committee, then we're 'an asset to the church.' But in his words to the church of Philadelphia, Jesus assures us that our place in God's presence is not based on our utility--he certainly does not need us to uphold his temple!" Rather, we are placed near the King of kings and adorned with his profound spiritual beauty in order to reflect the majesty and graciousness of the One in whom we "are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit" (Ephesians 2:22).

Whatever struggle may be yours in trying to identify yourself and your place in the kingdom of God, never forget that you are his dwelling place, the heart of his abode, and as a pillar in this temple you will reflect his beauty and splendor forever and ever, never to go out of it, ever.

--Sam Storms, To the One Who Conquers: 50 Daily Meditations on the Seven Letters of Revelation 2-3, p.183-184.
The seventy-two returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!" And he said to them, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."
Luke 10:17-20 (emphasis added)
Oh Lord, please let my joy be in the right place!

No comments: