Friday, July 24, 2009

The Sovereign Son

And he [The Father] put all things (all things!) under his [Jesus'] feet and gave him as head over all things (all things!) to the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.
Ephesians 1:22,23
Not a drop of rain can fall outside the orb of Jesus' sovereignty. All our days--our health, our illnesses, our joys, our victories, our tears, our prayers, and the answers to our prayers--fall within the sweep of the sovereignty of one who wears a human face, a thorn-shadowed face. All of God's sovereignty is mediated through one who was crucified on my behalf. For Christians, that means God's sovereignty can no longer be viewed as merely a credal point, still less as a source of endless mystery. There is more than enough material for credal confession here, and not a little mystery; but these mysteries revolve around one who died in my place. The mysteries of prayer remain, but they dissolve in worship and gratitude. It is far easier to accept the mysteries of divine sovereignty when the divine love is as great as the divine sovereignty.

All of this sovereignty is exercised for the church. This is a stunning thought. God "placed all tings under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church" (1:22). What gratitude this should call from us! What an incentive to pray in line with God's purposes for his people!

--D.A. Carson, A Call To Spiritual Reformation: Priorities From Paul and His Prayers, p.179-180
For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.
John 10:17,18
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son [his sovereign Son], that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16
All authority (all authority!) in heaven and on earth has been given to me...
Matthew 28:18

No comments: