Monday, February 08, 2010

Last Super Bowl

I had planned to watch the Super Bowl yesterday but only ended up watching about five minutes of it because the Lord had other plans for me. So I can't say I know entirely what Ray is talking about (though it's not hard to figure out). And I'm not resolving to never watch the Super Bowl again (not yet, at least). But I love the conviction expressed in this resolution and I want my life more and more to be marked by this kind of single-mindedness for the glory of Christ.
The Super Bowl is not just another NFL game. It has become an intensified concentration of vulgarity and ego, with enough athletics in the game and cleverness in the commercials to trick me into watching. It’s simply not what I’m living for.

That was my last Super Bowl.

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Ephesians 5:15-17
Thanks for your example Ray.

HT: Christ Is Deeper Still

3 comments:

Rob Lombardi said...

Kevin DeYoung had an interesting look on sports. He's a big sports fan and points out that the same attacks on sports can be basically made against any human endeavor. I think he has a balanced look at sports.

http://clicky.me/Dfc

Rob Lombardi said...

God is in the business of redeeming culture and there are Christians out there redeeming culture in whatever corner of the culture they live in; Tebow is a good recent example.

Also consider, Shai Linne, he takes rap which is normally filled with vulgar language, profanity, and sensuality, and turns it into something full of truth about Christ. Did you hear the 9 Marks interview about this. They talked about this very thing.

http://clicky.me/ninemarks-shai

pilgriminconflict said...

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the links. I love Shai Linne. I've been listening to him for awhile. His album "The Atonement" is probably my favorite rap/hip-hop album. I hadn't seen this interview. Thanks for pointing me to it. I like Voice too!