Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Cost

Last night, I posted about my experience running to the top of a mountain. This morning, Ray Ortlund posted the following quote about the cost of reaching the top of the mountain.
“It cost Christ and all his followers sharp showers and hot sweats, before they won to the top of the mountain. But still our soft nature would have heaven coming to our bedside when we are sleeping and lying down with us, that we might go to heaven in warm clothes. But all that came there found wet feet by the way and sharp storms that did take the hide off their face, and they found tos and fros and ups and downs and many enemies by the way.”

Samuel Rutherford, Letters (Edinburgh, 1891), page 389.
Providence. I stopped believing in mere coincidence a while ago.

But no matter how many times I'm reminded, every time I read quotes like this it's like a blow to the stomach because I really would prefer to remain sleeping and lying down.

Sigh.

No comments: