Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Why Read Theology?

“For my own part, I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books, and I rather suspect that the same experience may await others. I believe that many who find that ‘nothing happens’ when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

--C. S. Lewis, quoted in R. L. Green and W. Hooper, C. S. Lewis: A Biography (New York, 1974), page 115.
Pipe in teeth? I haven't tried that one yet! Gotta love C.S. Lewis! =)

HT: Christ Is Deeper Still

4 comments:

travellinghaj said...

OK so what books on theology would recommend for starters?

Chris Kiagiri said...

anything by D.A. Carson. :)

travellinghaj said...

thanks! will def check it out. I have read a little of NT Wright, which was pretty good .

pilgriminconflict said...

Yes, amen to D.A. Carson. Perhaps my favorite pure Bible teacher.

In no particular order, here are a couple other suggestions (as starters, these will ease you in and open you up to an inexhaustible domain):

1) Knowing God by J.I. Packer
2) The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul
3) The Pleasures of God by John Piper
4) The Justification of God by John Piper (not exactly a starter but in God's providence it was one I started with and it turned my world upside down)
5) God's Passion for His Glory by John Piper (half of the book is Jonathan Edwards--the 18th century Puritan--who isn't the most accessible for starters. But this book rocked my world too)
6) Foundations of Grace by Steve Lawson
7) Chosen For Life by Sam Storms
8) The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer
9) The Attributes of God by A.W. Pink
10) The Sovereignty of God by A.W. Pink

Most of these guys are still alive (all but Tozer and Pink, both A.W.!). This is a good place to start. Then we can introduce you to the world of dead guys (or those who have fallen asleep I should say) =) ...

As you read any of these books, pay close attention to the authors who are quoted and footnoted (usually dead guys). Footnotes are important! That's how you can get pointers to other good sources for theological consumption. =)