Monday, January 10, 2011

Romance: Why The Universe Is Here

Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her. And there I will give her her vineyards and make the Valley of Achor a door of hope. And there she shall answer as in the days of her youth, as at the time when she came out of the land of Egypt. And in that day, declares the LORD, you will call me 'My Husband,' and no longer will you call me 'My Baal.' For I will remove the names of the Baals from her mouth, and they shall be remembered by name no more...And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. And you shall know the LORD.
Hosea 2:14-17,19-20

In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you [as my betrothed bride], I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also [as my consummated wife forever].
John 14:2-3
Over at Christ Is Deeper Still, Ray Ortlund quotes these lyrics from a love song:
And of all the things that I want
In this whole wide world
Is just for you to say
That you’ll be my girl
And then goes on to explain briefly why that heart cry, from the depths of God's being, is the reason why the universe exists...and why it's an indescribably glorious, beautiful, and good thing for a man's heart to be unflinchingly drawn towards one woman in this way and for a woman's heart to deeply desire to be loved by one man in this way.

No, romance is not stupid.

Thanks brother.
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.
Ephesians 5:25-27

No comments: